Deep house maestro Chymamusique emerged victorious at last night’s 28th annual South African Music Awards. He picked up gongs in the hotly contested categories of Male Artist of the Year and Album of the Year for Musique. This brings his tally to three after he also won Best Dance Album in last night’s event.
Zakes Bantwini and Kasango went into the night with multiple nominations and left with two trophies for SAMRO Highest Radio Airplay Composers Award for Osama and Best Collaboration for the same hit.
In the public voted categories, Haksul Muziq stunned viewers when he was announced as SAMPRA Artist of the Year, beating formidable competition in that category.
Makhadzi’s Ghanama featuring Prince Benza won the TECNO Music Video of the Year award, while Vula Mlomo by Musa Keys was voted TECNO Record of the Year.
In the inaugural TikTok Viral Song of the Year award, uMlando by 9umba, Mdoovar and Toss clinched a win.
Other notable winners were Khanyisile Mthetwa for White Star Newcomer of the Year for African Bird.Blxckie won Best Hip Hop Album for B4Now and Reece Madlisa and Zuma’s Ama Roto Vol.2 which scored the Duo/Group of the Year gong. Mthetwa’s album also took home the Best Classical/Instrumental Album on Night 1 while Reece Madlisa and Zuma triumphed on Night 1 win in the Best Kwaito Album category.
Jimmy Dludlu, Joe Nina and McCoy Mrubata were presented with Lifetime Achievement awards in honour of their exceptional bodies of work throughout their careers and contribution to the industry as a whole. International superstar Black Coffee was honoured with the International Achiever Award for his musical contributions which have extended far beyond South African borders.
The Night 2 of #SAMA28 proved to be an eclectic evening of moving tributes, adrenalin fuelled performances and glorious wins.
The proudly South African evening was hosted by Nandi Madida and Lawrence Maleka who did an exceptional job keeping audiences engaged and introducing performers like Stogie T, A Reece and Tshego who performed an emotive tribute to the late Riky Rick. Other performers to deliver incredibly performances include Makhadzi, Takie Ndou, Shekinah, Musa Keys, Konke, Da Capo and Lloyiso.
Night 1 hosts Mpho Popps and RobotBoii made cameo appearances throughout the show. Some leading South Africans from various fields such as TV personalities LootLove, Zola Nombona, Linda Mtoba; radio presenter Lethabo Lejoy Mathato; fashion designer David Tlale, North West premier Bushy Maape and minister of transport Fikile Mbalula were guest presenters.
RiSA CEO Nhlanhla Sibisi commented: “Our 28thinstalment has certainly set the highest standard for live awards shows. We are grateful to our hosts Nandi Madida and Lawrence Maleka, all the guest presenters and performers for making this a memorable night. We are proud of all the #SAMA28 winners. We had an unforgettable experience in Sun City and look forward to SAMA29 and the milestone SAMA30.”
Full list of winners Night 2 (Sunday 28 August 2022)
- Samro Highest Radio Airplay Composers Award Osama by Zakes Bantwini
- White Star Newcomer of the Year African Bird by Khanyisile Mthetwa
- Capasso Most Streamed Song Of The YearAbalele by Kabza De Small, DJ Maphorisa feat. Ami Faku
- Best Collaboration Osama by Zakes Bantwini
- Best Duo/Group of the Year Ama Roto Vol.2 by Reece Madlisa and Zuma
- Best Hip Hop Album B4Now by Blxckie
- International Achiever Award Black Coffee
- Lifetime Achiever Award Joe Nina, Jimmy Dludlu and McCoy Mrubata
- Best Amapiano Album Notumato by Young Stunna
- TECNO Music Video of the Year Ghanama by Makhadzi featuring Prince Benza
- TikTok Most Viral Song uMlando by 9umba, Mdoovar and Toss
- SAMPRA Artist of the Year Haksul Muziq
- Male Artist of the Year Musique by Chymamusique
- Female Artist of the Year Platinumb Heart Open by Msaki
- Album of the Year Musique by Chymamusique
- TECNO Record of the Year Vula Mlomo by Musa Keys featuring Sir Trill and Nobantu Vilakazi
CONGRATS TO ALL THE WINNERS!
Add a Comment