FIFA hosted the much anticipated FIFA Best awards last night in Paris and as expected Lionel Messi was recognised as the 2022 best player in the world.
This follows the exceptional World Cup victory with Argentina in December 2022. Argentina’s head coach Lionel Scaloni was awarded the FIFA Best coach award, while Argentine Emiliano Martinez took home the FIFA Best Goalkeeper of 2022.
Argentina’s winning streak didn’t end there, they were also awarded the FIFA Best Fan award for their unwavering and entertaining support of Argentina at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
In his acceptance speech, Messi made mention that his soccer career is coming to an end, something that millions of soccer fans across the globe do not want to hear.
Given his current form, we foresee Messi winning a few more individual and club trophies before he retires.
FIFA The Best 2023 winners and voting results
- The Best men’s player: Lionel Messi
- The Best women’s player: Alexia Putellas
- The Best men’s goalkeeper: Emiliano ‘Dibu’ Martinez
- The Best women’s goalkeeper: Mary Earps
- The Best men’s coach: Lionel Scaloni
- The Best women’s coach: Sarina Wiegman
- The Best Puskas award: Marcin Oleksy
- The Best Fan award: Argentina fans
- The Best Fair Play award: Luka Lochoshvili
- Special tribute: Pele
FIFA Player of the Year (Men’s)
- Winner: Lionel Messi (PSG / Argentina)
Images: Instagram/ FIFA
Add a Comment